Monday, November 11, 2013

Butternut & Sage Pappardelle: A Quick, Easy and Colorful Dinner {#12WksWinterSquash}


I normally don't buy or even look at EveryDay with Rachel Ray magazine but I am glad I picked up the November issue while waiting in the checkout line. First, I found the unique and tasty Baked Wine & Spice Grapes with Gingersnaps that I made for my A Good Year Food 'N Flix entry, then in the same 16 Fast Ideas section, I found this simple Butternut & Sage Pappardelle recipe. I love brown butter sage sauces and flat pappardelle pasta noodles, and the shavings of butternut squash and Parmesan are the perfect add-in. It's a quick and colorful veg-friendly autumn dinner.


Butternut & Sage Pappardelle
Adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine, Nov. 2013
(Serves 4)

8 oz fresh or dried pappardelle
1/3 cup butter
1 lb butternut squash--peeled, seeded & shaved into ribbons w/ a peeler
2/3 cup shaved Parmesan
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh sage

Cook pasta, drain, reserving 2/3 cup cooking water.

In a skillet, stir butter over medium heat until it browns, 3 minutes. Add squash and cook, stirring, until just tender, 5 minutes. Gently stir in pasta, adding pasta water as needed to moisten; season. 

Divide among plates and top with cheese and sage. 


Notes/Results: Just a few simple ingredients that are fast to put together, taste great and makes for a very pretty plate to serve up. I kept the recipe as written and the only change I would make is peeling thicker slices of the butternut squash as these thinner slices were a bit fragile and broke up easily. On the table fast and fun to eat, I would make this again.




***12 Weeks of Winter Squash***

In addition to Souper Sundays, this yummy squash-filled soup will be linked up to the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Event hosted by my friends Heather and Joanne. Feel free to link up your winter squash dishes during the week at the linky below--or on one of the other participating blogs. 
 

4 comments:

  1. This is a lovely pasta dish - simple, yet delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that you can cook butternut like that! It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen butternut shaved like that! Very cool. And so funny about the Rachael Ray magazine...I guess every once in a while she has to have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfect! I love papardelle...and the squash cut to mimic it is just amazing! yummmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)